Monday 16 October 2017

Happy Cat

Not every day is the same and that is also the case with my yoga practice.
Today was one such day, I was really looking forward to it, mainly because I had been feeling a bit run down due to work load etc and I knew it would make me feel better.
Our instructor arrived looking full of 'sun salutation' as usual..she has a way of making me instantly feel fab, she is just so bubbly and full of energy


Practice starts with a gentle flow from  bitilasana ( cow pose ) through to  marjaryasana ( cat pose ),

A lovely gentle stretch to start our practice.


Related image
This warms and stretches my spine and helps me to let go of the stresses of the week, it is an opportunity to open the chest and allow the breath to become slow and calm, inhaling through the nose, filling the lungs with oxygen, at the same time allowing the belly to drop towards the mat and lift the chin and chest and look upwards ( cow pose )... pausing momentarily,  then exhale through the mouth, drawing naval to spine and at the same time rounding the back toward the ceiling, and releasing the head toward the mat gently ( cat pose ). 



This has the effect of bringing me immediately into the moment, focusing on inhaling/exhaling deeply into the asana (poses ) using the breath to flow effortlessly from one to the other.

We repeat this 10 times breathing more deeply/slowly with each move, 
coming to rest, sitting back on heels in an upright position.  
Feeling Purrfect 😻 😉


Benefits of these asana include


  • encourages flexibility to the spine
  • stretches muscles in back, hip, torso, neck, shoulders
  • stimulates internal organs
  • opening lungs



No comments:

Post a Comment